Learn About The History Of Tinley Park, IL

Introduction

Tinley Park, IL is a village situated in Cook County, Illinois in the United States. The village has risen to be the fastest growing suburb south of Chicago.


The History of Tinley Park, IL

Tinley Park, IL began over a century ago. In 1930, immigrants from the Midwestern heritage settled here and laid the foundation of the modern Tinley Park we know today. The village was renamed Bremen in 1953 to reflect the presence of a huge German community that had emigrated there. A variety of commercial activities thrived in Bremen at the beginning and made the village grow prosperous with time. Tradesmen, farmers, merchants, hotels, farmers, wind-driven mills and grain elevators thronged the village making Bremen become a regional hub of trade. Another factor that helped bolster the village to grow is its location at the nearest intersection of the routes leading to Chicago, Pacific Railroad lines and Rock Islands.


19th Century

The modern name of the village came from the railroad. In 1890, Samuel Tinley Sr joined the community as the first railroad station agent. It was considered phenomenal at that time, so a historic meeting was called at the train’s depot on 27th June 1892 to decide the fate of the village (whether to incorporate it into the Village/Community of Tinley Park or not). As a result, 34 of the 58 citizens voted in favor of the incorporation hence the community promptly came to be officially known as Tinley Park Village.

Among the relics of the history from the 19th Century present in the Tinley Park, today is Engine 1892, a centennial monument that stands at the first train station of the village. This is to remind the public about the railroad’s role in the rise and development of the village.


20th Century

Tinley Park as an innovation hot spot
The business community of Tinley Park has always comprised of innovative traders. The pioneer factory of the Diamond Spirals Washing Machine Company was founded here in 1905. By 1909, the ingenuity of local businessmen had pushed them to establish the village’s own electric utility. John Rauhoff, an inventor, also developed and manufactured his ironite in Tinley Park IL. Ironite was an essential additive to cement which made it waterproof. This invention played an important role in the construction of the Hoover Dam. In the late 20th Century, the village was a rapid suburban expansion area extending to the south and west of the initial founding site. Even today Tinley Park still remains a rapid expansion area in the whole of Illinois. Between 1970 and 1994, a settlement boom was experienced in the area leading to the construction of more than 11,000 housing units.


A touch with the past

Tinley Park still commemorates its heritage in a variety of ways. For instance, the area covered by the initial 1892 municipal boundary has since been designated to be a historical district. All property owners have been asked to preserve and even restore the classic appearance of the edifices under their ownership.

Throughout the years, the village has received enormous recognition as the birthplace of 5 Indianapolis 500 race drivers including Melvin Bethenhausen and his children Gary, Tony Jnr and Merle and the cousin; Emil Anders.